Pinterest

Little Coconut and Raspberry Cakes

Monday 21 June 2010
Ever since I was officially diagnosed with having high blood pressure and asthma at 35 (which a pharmacist never fail to remind me whenever I pick up my prescription that I'm too young to be on medication for life) I've decided to change my diet. I cut out all processed food. Has anyone ever notice the long list of ingredients which read like chemicals used in a science experiment?

I'm constantly on a quest to find simple recipes that do not require me slaving in the kitchen for hours. I prefer lighter meals during the summer months. Instead of instant ramen noodles, make a batch of pesto and boil your preferred pasta shape. As for a side dish, slice some fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, rocket leaves and avocado and drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar and you've got yourself a meal under 10 minutes. For pesto, simply blitz a combination of basil leaves, pinenuts, grated parmigiano reggiano, garlic, a glug of extra virgin olive oil with a sprinkling of sea salt and freshly ground pepper. The paste will keep for days in the fridge. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.






Jo Pratt's Little Coconut and Raspberry Cakes


Anyhow, I found this recipe from Jo Pratt's book "In the Mood for Food" for coconut and raspberry cupcakes which take minutes to make and they taste absolutely divine. Throw everything in and mix and voila, you've got yourself some yummy cakes for afternoon tea. I've made some changes to the recipe. The sugar content is way too high so I've reduced it to 175 gram instead of 275 gram. I've made them with blueberries and they're just as yummy.

Makes 12. Takes approximately 15 minutes to bake.

Ingredients:
125g unsalted butter, melted
25g ground almond
75g desiccated coconut
275g icing sugar, sifted (I only used 175g)
75g plain flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
5 large egg whites
100g raspberries

1. Preheat the oven to 180 C/fan 160 C/gas 4.

2. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper muffin cases.

3. This couldn't be easier. Simply mix together everything, apart from the raspberries, until smooth. Spoon into the paper cases and divide the raspberries among the cakes, pressing them lightly on to the surface.

4. Bake for 15 minutes, until the cakes are golden and just springy to touch in the middle.

5. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before removing from the tin. Serve warm or cold. The cakes will keep in an airtight container for a few days and still remain really moist and yummy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...